The purpose of the WFO: to advance the art and science of orthodontics throughout the world by fulfilling the following objectives:
- Encourage high standards in orthodontics throughout the world;
- Encourage and assist in the formation of national associations and societies of orthodontists when requested;
- Encourage and assist in the formation of national and regional certifying boards in the field of orthodontics when requested;
- Promote orthodontic research;
- Disseminate scientific information;
- Promote desirable standards of training and certification for orthodontists;
- Organize the International Orthodontic Congress to be held at least once every five years.