Charter Signing Ceremony, San Francisco, 1995
The WFO was formed at the 4th International Orthodontic Congress (IOC) in San Francisco by 69 affiliated organizations on May 15, 1995 and now has over 8000 WFO fellows and 109 affiliated organizations.
The purpose of the WFO is to advance the art and science of orthodontics throughout the world. Consistent with this purpose, the chief objectives of the Federation are to;
- encourage high standards in orthodontics throughout the world,
- encourage, and assist when requested, in the formation of a national organization of orthodontists in countries where such organizations do not exist,
- encourage and assist in the formation of national orthodontic specialty certification boards,
- encourage high standards in orthodontic research and treatment,
- encourage the exchange of orthodontic research and treatment information,
- encourage high standards of orthodontic education, training, certification and licensure and
- sponsor and administer periodic International Orthodontic Congresses (IOC), including selecting the site and the host organization.
The WFO is currently based in St. Louis, Missouri, USA
401 North Lindbergh Blvd.
St Louis, Missouri 63141-7816