One (1) member from each affiliate country will serve on the WFO Council. In the event that more than one association or society representing the same country should be elected to affiliation by the Executive Committee, that country shall have only one representative on the Council mutually determined by the national associations or societies concerned. Final allocation of seats is subject to the terms of Article 6.7 of the WFO Bylaws.
An additional forty (40) members are selected at large on a pro rata basis according to the number of dues-paying fellows from each affiliate organization.
The Secretary-General is an ex officio member.
The Council shall:
- Receive and approve changes to the WFO Bylaws and policy statements of the Federation (Article 184.108.40.206);
- Receive and approve reports from the Executive Committee on the work of the WFO since the last meeting (Article 220.127.116.11);
- Receive and approve financial statements prepared by the Secretary-General (Article 18.104.22.168);
- Elect 10 members of the Executive Committee in accordance with Articles 22.214.171.124.1-126.96.36.199.4 of the WFO Bylaws;
- Nominate individuals for honorary membership (Article 188.8.131.52);
- Establish such committees as required or recommended by the Executive Committee and appoint committee chairmen (Article 184.108.40.206); and
- Approve changes in standing orders and policies governing the work of the Executive Committee (220.127.116.11).
The Council will meet at least once during each International Orthodontic Congress.