Charter Signing Ceremony,
San Francisco, 1995
The WFO was formed at the 4th International Orthodontic Congress (IOC) in San Francisco by 69 affiliated organizations on May 15, 1995 and now has over 8000 WFO fellows and 109 affiliated organizations.
The purpose of the WFO is to advance the art and science of orthodontics throughout the world. As stated in the WFO Bylaws, the WFO purpose will be accomplished by fulfilling the following objectives:
- Encourage high standards in orthodontics throughout the world;
- Encourage and assist in the formation of national associations and societies of orthodontists when requested;
- Encourage and assist in the formation of national and regional certifying boards in the field of orthodontics when requested;
- Promote orthodontic research;
- Disseminate scientific information;
- Promote desirable standards of training and certification for orthodontists;
- Organize the International Orthodontic Congress to be held at least once every five years.
The WFO is currently based in St. Louis, Missouri, USA
401 North Lindbergh Blvd.
St Louis, Missouri 63141-7816