Regional Award Application Form
Nominations for the WFO Regional Award of Merit may only be made by a WFO Fellow in good standing or a WFO Affiliate Organization in good standing. Nominees must be, or have been, a Fellow, Academic, or Retired Member of the World Federation of Orthodontists. See below for more details.
Name of Nominee _______________________________________________________________________
Nominee's Affiliate Organization _____________________________________________________________________
Nominating Affiliate Organization _____________________________________________________________________
Nominating WFO Fellow ______________________________________________________________________
Phone _______________________________________ Email ______________________________________
Please submit a letter of nomination that describes the distinguished service rendered by the nominee, describing fully the reasons the nominee should be considered. This letter should include a background statement supporting the nominee, along with any pertinent achievements and appropriate credentials. A curriculum vitae must be attached.
Please list authors of additional letters of support, if any are to be submitted.
1. Name or Organization ____________________________________________________________________________
2. Name or Organization ____________________________________________________________________________
3. Name or Organization ____________________________________________________________________________
4. Name or Organization ____________________________________________________________________________
Please e-mail the completed form and supporting materials to the WFO at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
2020 Regional Award Nomination Deadline: April 15, 2018
Background and Policies WFO Regional Award of Merit
The WFO Regional Award of Merit was established in 2015 at the 8th IOC by action of the WFO Council to amend the WFO Bylaws. This award recognizes WFO members who make significant contributions to orthodontics, whether through academic, research, clinical practice or organized orthodontic pursuits. Frequently, the stars and champions of our profession are well known in their region, but WFO members in other parts of the world are unaware of the magnitude or significance of their contributions to our profession. This award was established to solicit nominations from recognized WFO affiliate organizations, leaders and individual WFO members so these people receive the recognition they deserve.
Award Committee. The WFO Regional Award of Merit committee shall be comprised of the current members of the Executive Committee, with the President being committee chair. The Secretary General shall be a member of the award committee, but shall not have the right to vote. Voting by proxy is not permitted, but electronic, fax or mail voting is permitted should a member of the committee not be able to attend a face-to-face meeting. Decisions made by The WFO Regional Award of Merit committee are final and may not be challenged.
Nomination for the Award. Nominations for the award may be submitted to the Executive Committee by any WFO Fellow in good standing, or any WFO Affiliate Organization in good standing. The WFO Executive Committee may decide to nominate a candidate for the award.
Eligibility. To be eligible for nomination for the WFO Regional Award of Merit, a nominee must be, or have been, a Fellow, Academic, or Retired Member of the WFO. Student or Honorary Members are not eligible for nomination.
Process. Nominations for this award may be made to the Executive Committee at any time, but applications received than twelve (12) months prior to the next WFO Council meeting, will be considered for the subsequent Council Meeting. The nomination shall be submitted on the form provided by this Association, and shall include the nominee's curriculum vitae. The nomination must include a narrative of no more than three typed pages in length, authored by the nominating fellow or organization, describing fully the reasons the nominee should be considered for the award. Supporting documentation from third parties may be included in the submission, but shall be limited to no more than two pages per third party submission.
General Award Policies
1. A wide range of contributions may be considered: academic pursuits, research or publication interests, contributions to clinical practice, humanitarian efforts, significant leadership in the development or improvement of local or regional orthodontic associations or certification boards, etc.
2. This award may be granted to as many qualified recipients as the Awards Committee may decide albeit the committee in its sole discretion is not required to grant this award. Multiple recipients from a single region may be recognized. The award(s) will be conferred during the WFO Council meeting during each IOC, which is scheduled to occur every five years
3. Once the Awards Committee has received a nomination, the committee has up to twelve (12) months to make a determination regarding the nomination. Majority vote of the committee shall be required to select an award recipient. The committee has wide discretion in the vetting of the nominee. The committee in the vetting process may solicit additional information or supporting documentation. The committee has three options once a nomination has been made;
a. The nomination may be approved.
b. The nomination may be rejected. If rejected, the nomination may be resubmitted in the following or subsequent years, with no limit to the number of times it may be submitted.
c. The committee may choose not to act on the nomination; in which case the nomination expires after twelve months with no decision. The nomination may be resubmitted in the following or subsequent years, with no limit to the number of times it may be submitted.
4. The award recipient and his/her spouse, partner or significant other shall be invited to attend the award ceremony, to be scheduled during the IOC, with meeting registration and tickets to all VIP events provided by the WFO. Travel, housing and meal expenses, excepting VIP events, shall be the responsibility of the recipient.